The short pitch is one of the game’s most important shots and—for the average golfer—it will occur on nearly every hole. That’s why perfecting your pitch improves your scores. To achieve more precise pitching, follow these two easy-to-follow steps…
- Correct Your Positioning: Your stance should be slightly narrower than that for a full swing, with 60% of your body weight on the target side foot. Your hands should be slightly ahead of the ball, which sits in the center of your stance. All of these elements work together to help you strike the ball with a slight downward decent to improve your ball striking consistency.
- Perfect Your Distance Control: This all begins with a consistent tempo that delivers a symmetrical back-to-front swing. (For example, a swing that travels back to the 8:00 position should advance forward to the 4:00 position, 9:00 follows through to 3:00 and 10:00 goes to 2:00. Figure A illustrates this concept.) By matching the length of your forward and back swings, you’ll achieve a standard distance for each length swing. Of course, club selection also plays a critical role in distance control. When choosing a club, consider turf conditions and distance from the flag. The most commonly used clubs for pitching are an approach wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge…so select wisely!
Good luck with your short game. I hope to play with you soon here at Kingsmill!
Learn more about Kingsmill’s expert instructional opportunities at the Golf Academy. Or contact us at email@example.com or 757-253-3998 to reserve a private lesson.
Instruction & Coaching are an integral part of player development. To succeed at the game of golf, players need to obtain essential ball striking skills. These skills can be acquired through specific drills and strategies that can create repeatability in each segment of the game.
Head of Instruction
45 minutes – $130
30 minutes – $95
Head Golf Professional
45 minutes – $85
30 minutes – $65
Assistant Golf Professional
45 minutes – $65
30 minutes – $45
Advanced reservations are required for individual instruction. Reservations not canceled 24 hours prior will be charged the full rate. For more information or to make reservations, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Golf Professional Staff host instruction clinics covering the short game on Mondays and Fridays and the full swing on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Clinics last approximately 45 minutes.
- $20 per person, per clinic.
- Minimum age of 14, unless accompanied by an adult.
- Reservations are required and must be made 24 hours in advance.
- Rental clubs included.
- For Clinic availability inside of 24 hours please contact the River/Plantation Golf Shop on the day of the clinic.
For more information or to make reservations, please contact the Kingsmill Golf Academy at: email@example.com